Feb. 12, 2011 Meeting Summary
From OHM Space Corporation
1st Business Organization Meeting
Date: Feb 12, 2011
The Beatnix Cafe
136 NW 13th St
Oklahoma City, OK 73103
Recorded by: Jason C. Stone
- Introduction of members present and their skill sets
- Discussed special role of board of directors
- Discussed how funds might be split into a Director's Fund and a Member's Fund so that monthly members can vote on how their fund is allocated without threatening the long term mission of the non-profit
- Discussed the possibility of partial ownership in ideas generated at OHM. Decided that it might be best to accept voluntary donations from for-profit ventures that work with OHM. We may ask that we be free to use their company name in our promotional material though.
- Discussed the possibility of retail space being sublet by OHM to make related ventures less risky for out members and the general public.
- There was a suggestion for a kitchen and another suggestion that the kitchen be partitioned from the regular space so as to minimize the amount of odder that the other members are exposed to when someone is experimenting.
- The representatives from DC405 expressed interest in holding their meetings at OHM once the space becomes available
- Endorsement of the BetterMeans system and a brief discussion concerning our desire to experiment with new forms of governance and cooperative work without endangering the donations the non-profit takes in
- There was a suggestion that members who were not able to afford a monthly due might be able to pick up work from the BetterMeans site that has been approved by the group in order to offset some or all of their dues for that month
- Everyone was encouraged to work at the space as often as they like once it's available
- There was a suggestion concerning the formation of at least two networks at OHM. A secure private network and an open experimental network where security testing may occur. However, no malicious activity was being proposed or endorsed.
- There was an invitation to hold an OHM monthly get together at the OKCCoCo by one of their members
- There was an open invitation to attend a DC405 meeting
- There was a discussion of projects that interest individual members and some exploration of the types of commercial ventures that might form
- There was a suggestion that the educational portions of OHM take advantage of and contribute to the Free/Open University movement
- Brief discussion of the economic and political climate in Oklahoma and how OHM can reach out to people who hold a wide range of commitments, beliefs and opinions without explicitly endorsing a single political party or candidate
- The role of OHM as a cultural hub for online culture spilling out into the everyday physical world was noted several times. Even if every member is not an exceptional artists, engineer or designer, we feel that exposing Oklahomans to the Hacker/Maker/Crafter cultures is an important mission that will prepare our state for the next wave of innovations in government, education, manufacturing, art and culture.